Posted by: debrecenhelp | 01/07/2009

Debrecen, Hungary Sights I.

Deri Museum, Debrecen

Debrecen, Déri tér 1. Tel.: 52/322-207
Opening hours: 1 Apr – 31 Oct: Tue-Sun 10-18; 1 Nov – Mar 31: Tue-Sun 10-16

The history of Debrecen, the works of painter Mihály Munkácsy, the region’s flora and fauna, the folk art of Debrecen and of the county are on display in the exhibitions of this museum.

The biggest attraction of the fine art collection in the museum is the ‘trilogy’ by Mihály Munkácsy. The three pictures can be seen together: Christ before Pilate, Golgotha, and the Ecce Homo.

The permanent exhibitions of the Déri Museum are: The history of Debrecen from the 13th century to 1945 (Debrecen története a XIII. századtól 1945-ig); The art of Mihály Munkácsy (Munkácsy Mihály művészete); the Déri Collections selected from a rich collection of fine and applied arts and including material from outside Europe; Birds of our region (Tájunk madarai); The world of minerals (Ásványok világa); and an archaeological exhibition.

Prior booking is needed for a guided tour.

Address: Debrecen, Déri tér 1.
Phone: 52/322-207
E-mail: deri@derimuz.hu
Opening times: 1 Apr – 31 Oct: Tue-Sun 10-18; 1 Nov – Mar 31: Tue-Sun 10-16
Fax: 52/417-560

Reformed College (Reformatus kollegium), Debrecen

Debrecen, Kálvin Square 16. Tel.: 52/414-744
Opening hours: Tue-Sat 10-16, Sun 10-13

One of the homes of the intellectual centres of Hungarian Reformation, the college is an outstanding masterpiece of Classical architecture. In the great library not only the books, but also the superbly crafted furnishings are of considerable value.

The college was built between 1804 and 1816 according to the plans of Mihály Péchy. Designed by Alajos Vasél, the courtyard wing was erected between 1870 and 1874.

The fine Classical building’s stately look is accentuated by protruding engaged columns and a projection with a tympanum. The relief portraits of famous reformers and prominent personalities connected to the school greet the visitor at the entrance.

The original building of the old college was destroyed in a 1802 fire. Plans for a new college had already been made prior to the fire and, in response to the new situation, Mihály Péchy altered the plans to suit the finances available. Nationwide fundraising was initiated to support the work.

As early as the 16th century protestant mentality already dominated the merchant town’s school. With its significance continuously growing, it was considered to be the ‘school of the country’ by the 18th century. It is impossible to list the vast number of Hungarians who rose to fame from the college. Perhaps even more significant was the enormous impact the institution had on Hungarian educational policy.

Address: Debrecen, Kálvin Square 16.
Phone: 52/414-744
Opening times: Tue-Sat 10-16, Sun 10-13

Reformed ´Great Church´ (Reformatus Nagytemplom), Debrecen

Debrecen, Kálvin tér Tel.: 52/412-694
Opening hours: Mon-Fri 9-16, Sat 9-13

Built between 1805 and 1820, the Classical-style Great Church is the symbol of Debrecen and Hungarian Reformation. The dethronement of the Habsburgs’ was declared here on the 14th April 1849.

Building work started under the supervision of architect Mihály Péchy, who also designed the Reformed College here, but was subsequently assumed by József Tallherr. The 55-metre long building’s 15 metre-wide nave stands on medieval foundations; the transept is 38 metres long and over 14 metres wide. The two towers stand 61 metres tall.

The monumental mass of this building sited at the end of Market Street (Piac utca) is truly an impressive sight, yet just as startling is the puritan simplicity of its spacious, vaulted interior. The richly gilded Empire pulpit is one of the most attractive of its kind in Hungary. The communion table and the pews are the work of the Debrecen master József Dohányosi.

An unparalleled view of the town rewards those who are not afraid of exercise and take up the challenge of climbing the 260 steps leading up to the west tower. While climbing the steps visitors can also inspect the Rákóczi Bell. If there is a opportunity to hear a concert here, then jump at the chance. Listening to the recently renovated organ as its sound fills the huge space is truly an unequalled experience.

The Great Church is one of the shrines of Hungarian national history. Hungary’s independence was declared here on the 14th April 1849 and Lajos Kossuth was voted as governing president. The chair Kossuth used on this occasion is a reverently preserved relic to this day.

Incorporating medieval sections as well, the Great Church is an important monument in the city’s history. It is not only the symbol of Debrecen, but also symbol of Hungarian Reformation. Most recently the archaeological display of the medieval foundations of the St Andrew’s Church and the Red Tower further accentuates the building’s medieval roots.

Outside opening hours the church can be visited upon prior request. Opening hours might change due to services and events.

Address: Debrecen, Kálvin tér
Phone: 52/412-694
E-mail:    ntemplom@yahoo.com
Opening times:    Mon-Fri 9-16, Sat 9-13
Fax: 52/412-694
Contact: Parish office (lelkészi hivatal)

Golden Bull Hotel (Aranybika Szalloda), Debrecen

Debrecen, Piac u. 11-15. Tel.: 52/508-600

Designed by Alfréd Hajós and Lajos Villányi, this Secession-style building complex was built between 1913 and 1915. The hotel was extended in 1976.

In 1882 Imre Steindl, the architect of the Parliament, planned a two-storey hotel. This had to be replaced in 1913 due to the growing demands on it. In 1915 what is now the old wing was erected in its place following the plans of Alfréd Hajós and Lajos Villányi. The facade ornamentation is the work of Italian stone-carving craftsmen.

Today a venue for concerts and other larger events, the ceremonial hall upstairs known as the Bartók Hall deserves a mention. The bust of architect Alfréd Hajós, Hungary’s first Olympic champion and the building’s designer, stands near the entrance. Built in 1976, the new wing joins the old section in a fashion debatable from an architectural and aesthetic point of view.

The land itself once belonged to a wealthy man from Debrecen, Bálint Bika (Valentine Bull), and was the site of an inn. The wrought iron, copper-plated sign hung on the facade in 1810 shows a butting bull. Thus, the current hotel took the name ‘The Golden Bull Hotel’ (Aranybika Szálló) from the name of the former Bika family inn.

Address:  Debrecen, Piac u. 11-15.
Phone: 52/508-600
E-mail: aranybika@civishotels.hu
Fax: 52/421-834

Great Forest (Nagyerdo), Debrecen

One of the oldest conservation areas in Hungary and indeed in Europe, popular for a stroll or a rest. The 1082 hectare area of centuries old common oaks, European hornbeams and silver limes is carpeted by lily of the valley each spring.

This is what remains of the once continuous Nyírség forests. The Great Forest was most likely named after the size of the trees rather than the area since there were much more extensive forests around the town. Often reaching heights of 25-26 metres, the largest trees of the lily of the valley-covered sandy land are the common oaks, some of them as old as 200-300 years. There are approximately 700-800 recorded species of plants growing in the area of the Great Forest (Nagyerdő).

Open to the public.

We will continue …

Advertisements

Categories

%d bloggers like this: